Sunday, July 18, 2010

Live a Little

Last night I realized an important lesson: sometimes, you have to stop counting calories, stop worrying about money, or being embarrassed or feeling awkward and just LIVE. NOW.

I do, on occasion, get overwhelmed by the prospect of partying with a large group of people. I'm not particularly into the bar scene, for this very reason. With people I know, plus a few sprinkled-in strangers, I am usually the life of the party, and a shameless (and I do mean SHAMELESS) extrovert.

But with a large group of people, I am often terrified of getting trapped in an awkward situation. The weird part is I'm not even sure what I'm so afraid of. Time and again people have proven themselves to be, on the balance, pretty awesome.

Most groups will go out of their way to make you feel included. Beyond that, most people can be just as shy as I am.

Last night was a case in point. My teammates, whom I don't know as well as I'd like, were all partying in one of our hotel rooms (and racking up noise complaints, as it happens) and I was in the final stages of preparing for sleep: pants off, reading lamp on. I could hear their laughter coming from down the hall and I said you know what? FUCK it! I'M GOING IN.

So I joined my Ultimate comrades and we had a BLAST. We exchanged card tricks (I won a free beer), beers (and probably some serious germs, germophobes be warned, team sports are not for you) and the most riveting/revealing game of Never Have I Ever of all time!

Lesson learned: sometimes, you just have to let loose. Stop doing the responsible thing, and just start doing SOMETHING.


No comments:

Post a Comment