Friday, July 30, 2010

Too Close!

My Macbook died today. I always knew this day would come, I just hoped I'd get to say goodbye first.

It was running fine this morning, then I brought it in to work, turned it on and... waited. And waited. And cried. And waited.

After a few rounds of 'boot up, hope, repeat', I had exhausted my technical expertise. I needed help. Professional help. (no not that kind, well yes, but no)

I took it in to the Mac store, cradling it like a sick child.

Little did I know it was the Canadian launch of the iPhone 4 today. There was a HUGE line that had apparently been waiting since 8pm last night. I've never seen a line this long that didn't have Harry Potter characters in it.

As I stood there, staring at the line, knowing that time was running out for my baby, an employee approached me: "Are you looking to upgrade to an iPhone 4?"

"How dare you?! She's not even cold yet!"

She took that to mean that no, I was not in fact here for an iPhone. Reluctantly, she ushered me past the line.

I reached the repair bar (it does not serve booze, I checked) and with hopeful, tear-rimmed eyes I implored the guy behind the counter: "Can you fix her?"

The Mac man (or "Genius" as they like to be called... pretentious much?) asked if it was still under warranty.

"No, she doesn't have health insurance."

He said he'd have to order some parts, it would probably cost a few hundred dollars.

I looked at him like he'd just suggested I have my dog put down.

"Do Macbooks go to heaven?"

Then the Mac man, er Genius, did me a solid: he offered to fix it. For sex free!

Oh Apple.  You're like Dane Cook.  I want to hate you, but you're just too awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment